Monday, August 17, 2009

The Butterfly Chronicles - Part V


The last week in our little terrarium was fairly low-key and mundane until this past couple of days.

We had several cats "string up" over the weekend, and all but one has retired to "chrysalis" status and we now have six little butterflies in waiting. One of these little guys decided to take a liking to the screen lid, and would not come down, so I took a few pictures of him while he explored the upside-down world of the lid. He actually strung up and there and now sits in the brown and green chrysalis. I am hesitant to remove the lid any farther than to put more parsley into the pot, so I have not shot that picture, as yet.

After having the initial two twigs in separate corners of the terrarium, I realized that there are only four corners, and with several of our cats getting bigger by the day, I knew there wouldn't be enough room, and I wasn't sure if they would double up, or not. I went out to the garden and brought in a soil-filled flower pot and another handful of sticks that I was able to trim down to size. I put the initial two twigs into the soil and placed in on one end of the terrarium, and added more sticks as our little friends strung themselves up. To date, we've got six sticks in the pot, and STILL have more little instars eating us out of house and home. It's almost like a chrysalis-condo community in there.

We are hoping that the initial two will decide to come out over the coming week or so. As that happens, I will do my best to get home to take the pictures I am hoping to get and share with you. It seems, however, that even if I miss one of the initial butterflies, we will surely have enough opportunities to watch the remaining 17 or so. :)

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment