Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Butterfly Chronicles - Part III

Wow...So yesterday, I go and peek at our little family, and I see where several of the eggs have hatched.


It's so funny to me, because the big brown catterpillars with the white stripe are HUGE compared to the newly hatched ones, but that's how large the big ones were when we discovered them on Saturday. I took a picture of the littlest instar on a parsley leaf so that you can have some perspective (look at the little red arrow; that should give you an idea).




The 2 big guys are getting larger, as you can see from the pictures.


I found one of them on the side of the flower pot, as you'll see in the picture below.



Today (Tuesday), I noticed that my big, beautiful, healthy curly leaf parsley plant is nothing but twigs and sticks. I had to go to the grocery store to get more "host plant," if you can believe it.



I think our two big guys are getting ready to find a stick to attach to (hopefully, since they eat like teenaged boys!).


Now you'll notice (to the left) the difference between the two similarly sized instars; one has the cummerbund and one does not. Obviously they are both getting quite enough to eat. :)


The attached are a culmination of images I shot over the past two days. Hope that you enjoy them.


Until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment